Sunday, December 28, 2008

Be careful who you bring home...

My friend Abe told a story in church today that I've heard him tell a couple of times before, but I love it every time he tells it. It is a saying that his friend's parents would always tell their kids. They said, "Be careful who you bring home, because we will love them." I love that. It is a motto that I want to adopt for not only now in my single years living with roommates (and the random friends the roommates bring home) but especially for when I am raising a family. I think it is important to have a loving home environment where everyone feels welcome.

Abe's story continues with the sisters of his best friend. The sisters dated some very strange, almost shady young men. But, the parents would always accept them and make them feel welcome in their home. Even now, 20 years later, the daughters are married to different guys, but some of the old boyfriends still stop by to say hello to the parents. That is the kind of house I want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment