Sunday, January 18, 2009

Old references

It's funny that your brain automatically refers to the first memory you have with a sound or place or whatever. The first time I was introduced to what is known as a "round-a-bout" I was in Massachusetts working on Nantucket Island for the summer. They are labeled all throughout Massachusetts as rotaries. I called them rotaries all summer, but when I returned out West, I found that they were called something different. Round-a-bouts? Who calls them that? Pretty much everyone. Now, 5 1/2 years later...I still call them rotaries. When I was in Europe, they called them round-a-bouts. The friend I went with got a little frustrated with me for always calling them the wrong thing. It's weird that I can't unlearn that silly name for something.

Same thing is true with a woman walking in high heels across a non-carpeted floor. When I hear approaching heels, I automatically think of a teacher. Teachers always wore heels and you could hear them coming a mile away. Since that was my first understanding of what that sound meant, I still automatically think of teachers. It's odd because I'm 27 years old and I've been wearing heels for many many years, but I'm not a teacher. You'd think I'd be able to unlearn that misconception too.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean. I have so many smell and sound associations. it's crazy what random memories pop into your head when you hear a sound, some music, or smell something...god or bad. Our minds are amazing.

    ReplyDelete