Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Proud to Be An American

I’ve never been very passionate about politics. I think they are all two-faced, power-hungry, jerks who smooth talk their way into office. I’ve never met or listened to a politician I liked. I usually feel dirty and slimy after hearing them.

Last night while I was working out, the news was rebroadcasting the Inauguration speech of Barack Obama. For some reason I’ve been very interested in this inauguration. I was excited all day yesterday that it was Inauguration Day. As I listened to Obama’s speech, I came to the conclusion…it doesn’t matter if I voted for him or not, he needs my prayers and support. Obama is an excellent public speaker and actually gave a very moving inaugural speech. I found myself a little teary eyed at parts as I contemplated the history of our country and the challenges we are facing. I set aside all of my frustration for Washington’s lofty promises and unreasonable goals and remembered the simple truth that I am proud to be an American. I know I won’t agree with all of the decisions Obama will make, but he is the leader of our country and I truly believe he wants to do all that he can to better our country. No matter what his goals and ideas are, the one thing that I can do…and every citizen can do…is pray for him. Pray that he will uphold good values and know what to do with the uncertain future. Pray that God will strengthen him and give him good judgment. Pray that he will do what is right and be blessed with inspiration. We need to pray for our President. It’s the very least we can do.

2 comments: