Saturday, January 10, 2009

Marley & Me

While the sales managers are in Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show, the support staff of four ladies got permission from the boss to do a team building activity. So, my Friday afternoon at work was spent going to pizza for lunch, watching a movie, and going home early. I think the sales managers should go to Vegas more often! I appreciate a boss who sees the value of taking a break in a very busy field to relax and enjoy life a little. I also appreciate a company that understands that their biggest asset is their employees and still offers perks and activities when other companies have cut back on their employee appreciation programs. I honestly work for an amazing company. We work hard and play hard.

So we went to the movie Marley & Me. I wasn't expecting much...simple plot line and decent acting. I ended up really liking it though...on multiple levels. I liked that it was PG and just a feel good movie. It is about a young married couple and their struggles of starting new life together, blossoming their careers, and raising a family...with their dog Marley. I admit, Marley is a horrible dog. Sweet and loving, but eats everything they have, gets kicked out of obedience school, and terrorizes everything and everyone. I appreciated the different dynamics of the couple's marriage. Working through the poverty of newlyweds, the sleep deprivation of having babies, and moving a family for a job. Perhaps it is my current circumstances that makes me appreciate all this, but I was grateful to see a marriage where the couple is loyal to each other and dedicated to making it work. Even when they had rough patches and were fighting, divorce was never an option for them. They decided to "mend it, not end it."

The genuineness (not sure if that is a word...but should be if it is not) and pure love of the dog (a huge golden lab) was endearing and brought tears to my eyes in some parts. And I don't even like dogs...especially big dogs. I'm more of a cat person (but I'm allergic to them now). Given my future selection though, I'm going to have to learn to like dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment