
I had a blast last Saturday with Kathy and Paul at the Holi festival at the Sri Sri Radha Krishna temple in Spanish Fork, UT. Yeah, it is weird to see an Indian temple in the middle of a small town in Utah, but hey...they throw a good party. The Holi festival is the welcoming of spring and the celebration of colors. The main festivity (that we were slightly too late to participate in) is the Throwing of the Colors. You buy little bags of dyed chalk dust (I have no idea what it is actually made out of) and throw it at each other in a massive mosh pit area of 300+ people. It is crazy. Everyone was caked with different colors on their clothes and on their faces. I can't wait for next year when I'll actually get to participate fully. The festival was fun though. They had food and crafts for sale. A petting zoo of llamas. Beautiful peacocks making some crazy sounds. Macaws that say hello. Line dancing in the temple. Ok, so it wasn't exactly line dancing, but kinda. It was a ton of fun. I've realized I'm really into going to these cultural festivals. It started in London with the Themes River Festival and has included the Irish festival, the Hare Krishna festival, and will continue with the Scottish Festival in June.
My brother-in-law is from India and he's Hindi, so it's always cool to see pictures from the different holidays. I always loved this one and my sister told me that the dye in India is not a washable one....hehehe. We went to one of the Hindu temples here in Denver once and it was pretty cool.
ReplyDelete