I love movies. It's true. I haven't seen real movies (movies in the movie theater) for a long time. The last one was Star Trek and that what...May? There have been many movies I wanted to go to, but just didn't get around to seeing. I've been very disenchanted with chick flicks recently. I've given up on them. Besides Penelope, I haven't seen a good one since...I don't know...a long time. I love spy/thief movies. Italian Job and Ocean's Eleven rank in my top ten favorites. There is a very special place in my heart reserved for disaster/end of the world movies. They are usually not amazing, but I enjoy them none the less. Characteristics of these movies include, well known landmarks getting destroyed, predictable weak plot lines with very unbelievable events, mediocre acting and mediocre graphics. For some reason though...I still love them. There are two that are legitimately good movies (Armageddon and Independence Day) but the rest are only ok movies. Still, the following movies hold a special place in my heart:
Twister (I love love love tornados)
Day After Tomorrow
Deep Impact
Dante's Peak
Volcano
So, today I watched 2012. I don't have high expectations for disaster movies, but this one surprised me with how bad it was. I mean...really bad. I might even consider this movie a comedy with how much I was laughing. And it was a really long bad movie. It felt like it would be 2012 by the time the movie was finally over. I couldn't handle all the long "the earth is crumbling two feet behind us but we are always able to outrun it" scenes. And I just laughed as a limo is driven through the basement floor of a crumbling glass building only to be launched out the other side unharmed. It is also very important to try to fly a plane through the downtown of cities so you can constantly narrowly miss falling skyscrapers and landmarks. And in order for it to be a good take off, the runway must crumble under the landing gear of the plane right as you take off. There were some redeeming moments of the movie. I enjoyed Woody Harrelson's character and his blog that served as comic relief and plot background. I also strangely found satisfaction in seeing The Strip of Vegas crumble and be destroyed. Overall though...it was painful to sit through (even for a disaster movie that I have low expectations for)...and I really had to go to the bathroom by the end because it was close to three hours long. I'm glad I didn't spend any money to see it. Maybe I should have taken a nap instead.
Man! I was hoping it would be a cool disaster flick. I love end of the world movies too, and all week long I have been finding ways to say things like - "doesn't matter the world ends in 2012 anyway". Now I am sad that the movie sucks....but I'll still put it in my netflicks queue so I can have a good laugh!
ReplyDeleteBummer! I trust your judgement, so thanks for sharing. Redbox it is for 2012!
ReplyDelete