Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Miss Old John


Anyone who knows me knows that I love John Mayer.  Whether you like him or not, that is fine...but I love him.  Well...mostly.  I love old John Mayer.  I loved the early years.  He's such a talented guitarist and his lyrics are so powerful.  "When you're dreaming with a broken heart, the waking up is the hardest part."  They are very real and very relatable.  He perfectly puts into words the experiences you've had.  His Gravity song made me fall in love with electric guitar ballads...and made for one of the most memorable 4th of July's ever in Taylor, AZ.

I've watched countless youtube clips of live concerts and interviews.  My roommate and I followed his blog and registered every day to try to win free tickets to the MayerCraft cruise.  We quoted him in everyday conversation "I'd like that," "Let me give you some advice from your Uncle John," "Pro-bono pro-bongo?" "Who wants to arm wrestle the bear?" "throwing punches under water," "And perfect...oh, hello!"

In the early years of John Mayer were filled with quaint concert settings, genuinely connecting with the audience and sincerely gratitude for coming.  Then he got big. Then he grew his hair out.  Then he dated stupid girls.  Then he did concerts drunk.  Then he wore low V-neck shirts (which should NEVER be worn by guys).  Then he looked like he did drugs.  Then he got obsessed with Twittering.  Then he wrote a song about getting stoned.  And he lost that magic.  He lost what I loved about him.  I used to think that John and I would likely be friends in real life.  I don't think that anymore.  I miss the old John.

1 comment: